I m in procurement since many years so I will share my thoughts accordingly, and expecting to read Seniors response as well.
Is it really the case?? Logistics not being handled in a right manner can really be a major cause of their failure.
Yes, it will be consider as a major failure. As logistic Dept play an important role in aspect of procurement and share equal responsibilities. As the performance of the company depends on Delivery to the customer/Cleint.
• Logistic Dept needs to take up the responsibility and ensure that materials deliver On-Time once its procure by Buyer.
• It is their responsibility to pack, unpack, load, unload and avoid any Discrepancy, Overage, Shortage and Damages of materials.
• On-Time deliver is the one of the Factor of the successful company, from which the performance and percentage of high rank increased. The operation is also depend on Logistic Dept.
• Sales Dept needs to be crystal clear with Logistic dept before hand, before procuring or Sales any type of equipment or Materials.
• Logistic Dept should follow Inco Terms further to avoid any problem, during Custom Clearance.
• Logistic Dept should communicate with Buyer/Salesman regarding freight system and conclude with either materials needs Air Freight, Sea or Road ways.
Please correct me, if my response not fit with your query.
31st May 2011 From Kuwait , Hawalli