Control of Documents in an organization is very important.
to handle docuemnts in a company , you should have good understanding of all the processes & operations of the organization ..
these are some good practices to have better control on documents
1. Update " Master List of All Docuements " immediately whenever there is a change in document.
( if you dont have this list please create and update regularly )
2. Understand the purpose of each document
3. Define who are all can ask for change in document , who can review , who can approve etc
4. Determine a place/location to keep all docemnts
5. determine retention period to keep documents
6. once the documents filled / signed it will become records so define who can store the records
7. Have proper reference like document created date, revision date ,no of revisions , reference number etc ..
8. ensure you have instructions for how to use an docuements
9.give proper disclaimers
10. differentiate technical document/ general operational documents
you may have your own format of having track to manage your documents ... hope it will be helpfull to you ...
4th April 2011 From India , Madras