Here is an article by Jeffrey Krivis who is the author of
Improvisational Negoitiation: A Mediator’s Stories of Conflict about Love, Money, Anger — and the Strategies That Resolved Them.
It speaks of ten tricks of the trade:
1. Let people tell their story.
2. If someone refuses to budge, take the spotlight off.
3. When someone seems “locked up,” dig for the emotion behind the stone face.
4. When people are picking flyspecks out of pepper, come in with a reality check.
5. Identify the true impediment.
6. Learn to read minds.
7. Think creatively about ways people can cooperate rather than clash.
8. Edit the script to help people see their situation in a different light.
9. Avoid the “winner’s curse” by carefully pacing negotiation.
10. Finally, realize that every conflict can’t be solved !