Granting maternity leave benefits within any of the companies we are following the below given general principles in UAE. It may vary from country to country.
- Eligible employees are any female employees whom have completed a minimum of twelve months service prior to commencement of maternity leave (or less if governed by respective country law)
- No female employee shall be dismissed from employment for any reason relating to pregnancy or childbirth regardless of length of service, position, age or hours of work.
- No female candidate seeking to gain employment with the company shall be refused the opportunity to join for any reason relating to their condition.
- The employee is entitled to receive 52 Calendar days maternity leave
- The employee is entitled to receive their full pay and annual benefits during this period of entitlement.
- Eligible employees may take ( subject to appropriate approval) all or part of their annual leave entitlement to coincide with maternity leave entitlement.
- Maternity leave entitlements including annual leave entitlements may commence at any time from 8 weeks prior to the expected date of confinement.
- All eligible employees will have the right to return to their same job at the same level of pay with associated benefits at the time of returning to work, post maternity leave. Where as a result of any organizational restructuring the same role no longer exists, then a similar role will be offered.
- In the event of medical complications resulting in the additional care of the baby or the mother, leave can be extended at the end of expiration of maternity leave and annual leave up to a maximum of 100 calendar days. Any such additional leave is unpaid (except from sick pay in the case of the mother) and is required to be supported by medical certification from the doctor or physician. (Please note that this may vary from country to country – the example given is for the UAE only). Notification of any such required leave extension must be made at least seven days prior to the original expected date of return.
- In the event of still birth, miscarriage or termination of pregnancy, maternity leave will not apply. Sick leave, emergency or compassionate leave or annual leave can be used accordingly.
- Maternity leave will commence for the employee as agreed in the employee’s application for such leave. The only exception to this is where the employee is absent from work as a result of pregnancy related issues for a period of seven consecutive days or more in the 8 week period prior to the expected date of confinement. In such cases maternity leave will be commence automatically, the first day of which, being the first day that the employee was absent from work.
capt suresh kk
12th February 2009 From United Arab Emirates , Abu Dhabi
According to section 5(2) of The maternity Benefit Act,1961 a woman must actually work for a minimum period of 80 days in the twelve months immediately preceding the date of her expected delivery. For more details plz go through Section 5 of this Act.
Submitted as requested.
Skylark Associates, Gurgaon
21st February 2009 From India , Delhi
Maternity Leave Law in India
Very recently, a modification was suggested in the Maternity Benefits Act of 1961. According to this new proposal, the maternity leave will be extended from the present three months to six months. This decision is sure to evoke a mixed reaction from the public. Some women may welcome it and some may feel it will hamper their professional career. This suggestion was given in lieu of the fact that a baby needs to be nursed by the mother for a minimum of six months. Now, one has to wait and watch whether women will take it acceptingly or will it face opposition from corporate world.
Please visit the link: Maternity Leave Law in India - Maternity Leave Right in India, Maternity Leave Policy for Employee
19th May 2010 From India, Delhi